This is the fourth week of the 2020 CrossFit Open, meaning we are coming up on the 20.4 workout announcement. Workouts are programmed by CrossFit Games Director Dave Castro and announced by CrossFit affiliate gyms and Sanctional events. Announcement events typically feature prominent CrossFit Games athletes.
How to Watch the 20.4 Workout Announcement
WODDITY hosts weekly live streams of major events in CrossFit. This week, we’re hosting live commentary of the 20.4 CrossFit Open workout announcement. We’ll be checking in on Diablo CrossFit, the CrossFit Italian Showdown, and the Brazil CrossFit Championship.
You can watch WODDITY’s live stream using the YouTube embed below:
Open 20.4 Date and Time
The 20.4 live stream countdown will start at 4:00 PM Pacific (7:00 PM Eastern) on Thursday, the 31st of October. Commentary and analysis will start 30 minutes later, at 4:30 PM Pacific. Here is a chart of starting times for major cities around the world:
|City/Time Zone||Analysis Start||Workout Announcement|
|Seattle/Pacific||4:30 PM||5:00 PM|
|Denver/Mountain||5:30 PM||6:00 PM|
|Chicago/Central||6:30 PM||7:00 PM|
|New York/Eastern||7:30 PM||8:00 PM|
|Rio de Janeiro||8:30 PM||9:00 PM|
|London||11:30 PM||12:00 PM|
|Berlin||12:30 AM (Nov 1)||1:00 AM (Nov 1)|
|Moscow||2:30 AM (Nov 1)||3:00 AM (Nov 1)|
|Dubai||3:30 AM (Nov 1)||4:00 AM (Nov 1)|
|Beijing||7:30 AM (Nov 1)||8:00 AM (Nov 1)|
|Tokyo||8:30 AM (Nov 1)||9:00 AM (Nov 1)|
|Sydney||10:30 AM (Nov 1)||11:00 AM (Nov 1)|
20.4 Workout Predictions
While anybody’s guess is as good as ours for what the 20.4 workout could be, there are some statistical trends we can look at:
- Just like the ‘.3’ workouts, ‘.4’ workouts were AMRAPs every year from 2011 to 2017.
- The most common movements for ‘.4’ workouts were muscle-ups, handstand push-ups, and wall balls. Each of these has appeared four times.
- 16.4 and 17.4 were a repeat of themselves, with a 13-minute AMRAP of deadlifts, wall balls, rowing, and handstand push-ups.
- We just repeated 18.4.
- With handstand push-ups, deadlifts, toes-to-bar, burpees, handstand walks, and snatches already happening in the 2020 Open, the most likely four movements we’ll see are the muscle up, wall ball shots, rowing, and cleans in some capacity. It’s worth noting the clean and jerk was sort of in 20.1’s ground-to-overhead.
- Two other movement families we haven’t seen that are super-likely to pop up are overhead movements like overhead squats or overhead lunges, and something using a box (like box step ups or box jump overs).
- We have yet to diverge from basic equipment, with the jumprope, dumbbells, barbells, and pull-up bar being the only equipment we’ve needed. Could this be the year Castro stays away from anything you might not have at home, like a rower and rings?
Athletes Participating in 20.4
The most prominent athletes taking part in the 20.4 workout announcements are Annie Thorisdottir (she will be in Italy), and Ben Smith, Sean Sweeney, and Jason Carroll in Northern California at Diablo CrossFit.